Explore Health Careers
At Northern Vermont AHEC, we talk about the reasons to explore a career in health care with students and adults through classroom presentations, community events, and special programs. Our Health Careers Coordinator is a resource who can provide guidance about what your future in health care could be like. It’s never too soon to think about it! Check out our calendar of health care exploration events here.
When we talk about the REASONS to explore a health career, we mean:
Respect – Health care professionals are respected members of the community for their professionalism, knowledge, and ability to help others in need.
Everywhere – A licensed or certified health care professional can work anywhere in the state, country or nation, and these professionals are in high demand.
Appreciated – Health care is an essential part of human life. It is a career field in which one is certain to make a difference. A health care professional’s work is received with much appreciation by those they help and heal.
Science & technology – New technologies, techniques, medicines and methods are continually being developed to improve health. Health professionals have opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of their career. There are exciting innovations happening constantly in the field of health care.
Occupations – There are over 300 health careers to consider. Education requirements vary from on-the-job training to post-graduate study and everything in between.
Needed – In Vermont, 40% of the fastest growing occupations are in health care!
Salary – A health care professional earns a livable wage and, frequently, valuable benefits. Compared to other professions with equivalent education beyond high school, health professionals often earn a very competitive salary. With additional training, one’s income can continue to grow.
- Vermont Health Careers: Careers, colleges, $$, resources and more for VT residents
- O*NET On-Line: O*NET OnLine has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more.
- Explore Health Careers
- Vermont Association of Hospitals and Health Systems
- MEDLINEplus: Health Occupations
- Vermont Department of Labor
- American Society of Health System Pharmacists
- American Counseling Association
- Discover Social Work
- National Institutes of Health
- Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC)
- BSN Education: Careers in Nursing
Vermont AHEC Network does not endorse any of the websites in this listing.
They are intended as a resource only.